Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Sunday, February 10

Madness in Freeport - Part 2: Gareth the Old Sea Dog

Ilmarė sang. Her voice soared. Higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dared to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into the drab little cage of Freeport and made the walls dissolve away...and for the briefest of moments—every last man in Old City felt free.

Gareth and Vlad wiped tears from their eyes. Kham adjusted his lenses. Beldin just snorted in disbelief at the whole thing.

“I be havin' nay idee what ye jus' sang about,” said Gareth. “Truth be, I dasn't want t' know. Some things be best left unsaid. But I like t' think ye be singin' about somethin' so beautiful that 't canna be expressed in words, an' 't makes me heart ache on accoun' o' o' 't.”

Gareth leaned forward and patted Ilmarė’s hand. “Thank ye very much. Now, th' trick t' findin' th' caves be th' tides. Ye be havin' t' go only a wee miles west along th' coast until ye be seein' two tall stones stickin' up ou' o' th' water. They be tall, almost a full mast high. When th' tides be low, a cave will appear on th' isle, arrr. All ye be havin' t' do be get yer boat in th' cave. Once inside, I can’t be much help t' ye. I be nere let inside, but I know 't’s dangerous. Black Dog sure did love his booty!”

They thanked Gareth and stepped out of his ramshackle home.

“That was beautiful,” said Vlad to Ilmarė. “What did you sing about?”

“It was actually a satire about farmers,” she said. “Not that he could tell the difference, since he doesn’t speak elorii.” [MORE]

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 7:28 AM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home