Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Saturday, November 29

NaNoWriMo Completed!

Technically, I didn't really do National Novel Writing Month correctly. I had a prewritten novel that I started last year with NaNoWriMo 2007. But the birth of my son derailed things for awhile. This was my chance to finish up the young adult fantasy novel I had been working on, and I did that in spades! Awfully Familiar is my longest novel yet, clocking in at approximately 90,000 words. But I was already at 60,000 words by the time NaNoWriMo 2008 came around. I just needed to write another 30,000, which is exactly what I did this month.

Paper & Pixels, on the other hand, had barely been started with a few thousand words. It's a non-fiction book, which means it requires quite a bit more than just words made up in my head. This was a terrible struggle, and cranking out 20,000 words took a lot of effort. This is definitely the hardest NaNoWriMo ever.

But the good news is that I accomplished two goals: I finished the rough draft of my young adult novel and I made excellent headway on my non-fiction book. My plan is to continue writing Paper & Pixels at a slower rate while I gather more sources, conduct interviews, and flesh the book out overall in time for a 2009 mid-year submission.

Thanks to my son, Brenden, who chased the cat around in the background while I was ignoring him (sorry kid, I'll make it up to you I promise!) and my long-suffering wife, who shepherded cat and kid while I busted ass on this crazy thing called NaNoWriMo. [MORE]

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 6:23 PM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home