Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Friday, November 7

NaNoWriMo Update

We reached the dock with a thump. Lycus carefully lifted me off his shoulder and placed me onto the dock. He didn't step out of the tub.

I could tell by his eyes that he had already made up his mind. "You're not coming with me, are you?"

Lycus shook his head. "Here. I weaved this for you."

Lycus took a little black harness made of wool out of his pocket. He shrugged it on over my body. It fit perfectly.

"This is excellent craftsmanship!" I exclaimed, touched by his gift.

Lycus tucked the magical key onto the pouch on my back. "I had a great teacher." He patted the key on my back. "Keep it safe."

"And what about you?"

"I have to find Vasilissa, Scrap. She saved my life."

"If you hang onto that tub, Yaga will find you soon enough," I said. A world without Lycus seemed very frightening indeed.

"I want her to find me." Lycus undid the latch holding the broom to the back of the tub and dropped it in the water. "No more running."

"And when she finds you?"

Lycus grabbed the pole again and shoved off. "There's got to be something to exchange for Vasilissa that Yaga would value. I don't know what it is, yet, but I have to try."

"Just don't trade anything you'll need later," I said. "Like your soul."

Lycus smirked. "You neither," he said, receding in the distance. "When you see the boys, say hello for me!"

If I could cry, I would have. "I will! Goodbye Lycus! You've been a good friend!"

"Goodbye, Scrap. I'll see you soon!"

I didn't believe him.

Lycus let the current take him further downstream and soon he was out of sight.

I turned back to face the long road to Calximus City. There was no Lycus, no Will, no Scrap, nobody. Just me. I had come full circle, facing down ogres, evil princes, eagles, cats, monstrous rats, and witches. Now it was time to forge my own destiny; to get Black's boys back safely, and maybe, just maybe, forge my own path to being a human boy.


11,709 words so far

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 5:08 PM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home