Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Sunday, May 3

Chapter 38: The Wild Hunt - Introduction

This story hour is “The Wild Hunt” by Bruce Ballon from Unseen Masters. You can read more about Delta Green at http://www.delta-green.com. Please note: This story hour contains spoilers!

Wild Hunt is, at heart, a criminal investigation in the tradition of Kolchak and other 1970s-style cop procedurals, long before crime procedurals like CSI and Law & Order became popular. Thus it has a certain quaint charm about it; there’s reference to the Feds “newfangled computers” and one of the NPCs talks like Popeye. I chatted with my players about this and it didn’t bother them in the least—indeed, they saw many of the NPC quirks as just part of the colorful terrain of role-playing in my campaign. If they were okay with it, I was too.

The Wild Hunt is peculiar in its selection of props. Many of the props are red herrings involving vampire research, while props that are really useful to the investigation, like autopsy reports and media statements, are missing. So I made my own.

Picking up where we left off, I planned this scenario down to the hour. We had approximately six hours to play the game, so I made each day of the investigation take one hour. This kept the game moving. There’s certainly plenty to do, although there’s definitely a question as to how long each route of the investigation should take. With just under a week to solve the case, the agents had plenty of leads…

Until they didn’t. Then they got completely sidetracked by another red herring: Club Apocalypse. This turned out to be a gift in disguise, because a certain powerful NPC then gently pushed the agents back on track. It introduced someone I hadn’t planned on introducing but who has been lurking in the background of the campaign.

In the end, although Hammer and Jim-Bean did most of the investigating, Archive saved the day. Again.

Defining Moment: Archive turns to one Great Old One to defeat another. [MORE]

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 8:33 AM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home