Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Tuesday, June 9

Naoke: Part 3 – Sea Serpent

The ship’s sails were struck to permit a handful of sailors some time to attend to a leak in the Nǎoké’s keel.

“So…” asked Kham as nonchalantly as possible. “Who’s the father?”

Ilmarė was unflapped. “That’s none of your business.”

“Oh I know. I just figured I should ask.”

“It’s not who you think.”

Kham smirked. His throat was feeling better, although he would have the ugly scar across his throat for the rest of his life. “Well it’s not me. And I’m pretty sure it’s not Quintus…” he was watching her reactions, but the elorii’s beautiful features were impassive, as usual. “Shouldn’t you be resting?”

“I’m fine.” She turned to look out at the ocean.

“Look...” Kham rubbed the back of his head. “Sorry about pushing you through the portal.”

The elorii didn’t look at him. “I would have done the same to you, were you to reveal something I wanted to conceal about my past.” She patted her stomach. “Fortunately for the both of us, the child is fine.”

Kham stared at the deck. “Maybe you should consider…you know, retiring. It’s one thing for us to get into danger, but you’ve got responsibility now.”

Ilmarė didn’t say anything. She was staring upwards.

“I know, I know, I’m one to talk about responsibility. But I’m sure the father, whoever he is, would agree that he wants the child safe.”

Ilmarė blinked, speechless. The sea churned beyond the deck of the ship.

Kham continued to stare at the deck. “So it’s the silent treatment huh?”

“Sea serpent!” shouted Baldric from the stern. “Evasive maneuvers!”

Kham looked up. [MORE]

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 6:38 AM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home