Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Friday, September 11

Lady Quay: Part 3 – Master of the Fathoms

The winds were sparse, causing the Lady Quay to drift.

“What do we do when we get there?” Kham was hanging from a makeshift hammock, swinging to and fro with the ship’s motion.

“What we’re being paid to do,” said Sebastian. “Find whoever is supplying the Essence Ingots and kill them.”

“Since when do you talk so callously about killing people?” Vlad proceeded to whittle a piece of wood, for lack of anything else to do.

Sebastian stared out at the ocean. “You weren’t the Stranger in Carcosa for years. Maybe centuries.”

Kham rubbed his throat. “Was it that long?”

“It’s impossible to tell. I did many unspeakable things over and over again until I no longer understood their significance.” Sebastian’s tail flicked behind him.

Vlad couldn’t help but notice the poison stinger at the end. He looked at Kham as he addressed Sebastian. “You’re not mad?”

“Mad? Unbalanced, perhaps. But angry? No. Why should I be? I made the decision and Kham made his. You brought me back. That’s enough.”

“Things are different, that’s for sure,” said Kham. “I feel like the whole world has changed. Like it lost its spark.”

“Almost as if we’re cursed?” Sebastian allowed a tiny smile to creep across his ashen lips. “The King in Yellow was your patron, as he was mine. He has withdrawn his protection from us. Arcanis is a little grayer because of it.”

Vlad shook his head. “Now you’re both scaring me.” [MORE]

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 6:23 AM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home