Talien's Tower
Subscribe to Talien's Tower on Facebook, Twitter, email or via the Site Feed

Wednesday, December 30

The Death of a Famous Tresca


For reasons I don't fully understand, a photograph of my relative Carlo Tresca is on auction. If I had the money, I would bid on it, if only to keep it out of other peoples' hands.

This is one of those moments where art and personal interest intersect, and it's one of the reasons why I find the glorification of Mob culture to be reprehensible.

This. This is Carlo Tresca, anarchist, shot in the face by a mobster. It's possible the reason had nothing to do with Mob business -- it's possible it had everything to do with Mob business. It doesn't matter. A picture of a family member's murder is up for auction:

"Police in New York ... considered him one of the most dangerous anarchists in the United States." Interesting figure with illuminated hat, face hidden, shines a light. The cropping marks are in the negative. Black and white photograph with copy of 1943 slug, "UPI" in pen verso. Corners are weak, in margin.


They make him out to be a mass murderer or something. If you want to learn more about Carlo Tresca, see Wikipedia. If you want to bid on it, see Lot 51.

Labels:

posted by Mike Tresca at 9:05 PM


Want more? Please consider contributing to my Patreon; Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar.

4 Comments:

  • Hello,
    I am finishing up a novel about Carlo Tresca that I have worked on for many years. It will be published by a small press in the next year or so. He was a remarkable person.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:31:00 PM  

  • Hi Francesca,

    I'd love to review a copy if you'd like to send it to me.

    Mike "Talien" Tresca

    By Blogger Mike Tresca, at Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:39:00 PM  

  • The beginning of the novel starts with his death, and I have looked at this photo many, many times.
    Who is conducting this sale? I had thought this photo was in the public domain.
    -Francesca

    By Blogger Unknown, at Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:33:00 AM  

  • Hi Francesca,

    Be-Hold is the auction house. You can read more info here: http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/body-of-carlo-tresca,-anarchist.-1-c-e69b7ba16d

    It's entirely possible that it's in the public domain and someone is still selling the original.

    By Blogger Mike Tresca, at Wednesday, July 07, 2010 11:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home